At FSU Credit Union, we want to ensure the personal and financial well-being of our members, which includes being prepared for natural disasters. Many people living in the Big Bend and the Gulf areas know the steps to take when preparing for natural disasters. Canned goods, fresh batteries, and jugged water all come in handy during times like these. But, what about your finances?
Your financial documents and access to your financial accounts are imperative during a natural disaster or emergency situation. Below are ways you can be prepared financially during an emergency:
- Make copies of your legal documents and seal them inside a locked waterproof and fireproof container. This container should be easy to access and portable in case of an emergency.
- Be sure to include cash in your container, as ATMs can be down due to power outages during a natural disaster.
- Utilize our digital tools to stay updated and maintain access to your accounts by enrolling in our Online & Mobile Banking. This will be necessary if a natural disaster forces you to evacuate your area.
- Take advantage of our Shared Branching Network in case you have to drive to another city ahead of an oncoming storm.
- Sign up for Direct Deposit within Online Banking so that you will always receive your paycheck timely – even if you need to evacuate due to a hurricane or other natural disaster. Click HERE to learn how to sign up!
- Finally, stay updated with our credit union news during a natural disaster by visiting us at FSUCU.org/ALERTS
The Florida Department of Revenue has put together a list of qualifying items and an FAQ list for individuals’ and businesses’ 2021 Disaster Preparedness plans. Learn More Here.
It is important to stay personally and financially prepared for a natural disaster. FSU Credit Union hopes these tips will assist your family in prepping your finances in case of an emergency.